BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday 26 April 2010

[ARTIKEL] I Still Know Who She Is

(actually this is not really an article, more like a short story, but since it's too much work to add another category in the blog, i decided to put this in the ARTIKEL category)

I found this in my inbox and decided to share with all of you. i couldn't find the original author but i hope it is of benefit:

I Still Know Who She Is

It was a busy morning, about 8:30 , when an elderly gentleman in his 80s arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00.

I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would be able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch and decided since I wasn’t busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound. On examining it I saw it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors and got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.
While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife.
I inquired as to her health. He told me that she had been there for a while! As she is a victim of Alzheimer's disease .
As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.
I was surprised and asked him, 'And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?'
He smiled as he patted my hand and said , 'She doesn't know me but I still know who she is.' I had to hold back tears as he left, I had goose bumps on my arm and thought,
'That is the kind of love I want in my life. True love is neither physical nor romantic .
True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.
Peace is seeing a sunset and knowing who to thank. The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
before you draw any conclusions, let me clear some facts first: I'm not an advocate of love before marriage, which is not this story is about anyway (instead it's about love during (or it is already AFTER) marriage, but since most of us haven't experienced it yet, it is not really relevant at the time being) but that is not the subject of discussion right now. the reason i post this story is that i think if we weave medicine and love to a story, it can keep us medical students of our age reading till the end, where the real message lies.
what i want to share from this story is eventually the last 2 paragraphs , which are written so beautifully:
True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.
Peace is seeing a sunset and knowing who to thank. The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
it is mainly about syukur, sabr, redha and tawakkal. and what did Rasulullah s.a.w. teach us about acceptance? '..bahawa engkau percaya kepada Qadar baik DAN buruk..' (hadis riwayat alImam Muslim) if we really understand and practice our religion, we the muslims are actually the happiest of people living this world

and again i bring to you this ultimate words of wisdom that should make any muslim with iman in his heart stay strong:

“Sungguh ajaib dalam urusan orang mukmin! Sesungguhnya setiap urusannya baginya ada kebaikan dan perkara ini tidak berlaku melainkan kepada orang mukmin. Sekiranya dia diberi dengan sesuatu yang menggembirakan lalu dia bersyukur maka kebaikan baginya dan sekiranya apabila dia ditimpa kesusahan lalu dia bersabar maka kebaikan baginya.” - (Hadis riwayat Muslim)



"Pada hari ini Aku telah sempurnakan untuk kamu agama kamu, dan Aku telah cukupkan bagi kamu ni'matKu serta Aku telah meredhai Islam sebagai agama kamu".
(Al-Maaidah: 3)

wallahu'alam

0 comments: